From little acorns, mighty oaks grow
Charity Status, Objectives and Achievements
Friends of Palace Wood
Registered Charity 1181700
THE OBJECT OF THE ASSOCIATION (THE OBJECTS) IS TO ADVANCE THE EDUCATION OF PUPILS IN THE SCHOOL IN PARTICULAR BY:
1. DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THE STAFF, PARENTS AND OTHERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SCHOOL
2. ENGAGING IN ACTIVITIES OR PROVIDING FACILITIES OR EQUIPMENT WHICH SUPPORT THE SCHOOL AND ADVANCE THE EDUCATION OF THE PUPILS.
We work with the school to organise and host a range of events and activities to raise funds to enhance the educational experience of the children at Palace Wood school. Our events and activities also help build links between the school and the local community.
Examples of the activities we have organised are:
- Christmas in the Forest School Fair and Grotto - the children received real Christmas trees to plant
- In-school Valentines themed fair - the children could purchase roses and chocolates for loved ones.
- Halloween and World Book Day discos
- Summer Colour Fun Day (a huge summer fair that ended in an epic colour run!)
- Secret shops for Mother’s and Father’s Day (the children can purchase affordable gifts for their grown-ups.)
- Easter Egg hunts
- Non-uniform days
- After-school treat sales selling ice lolly’s, slushes and even spooky Halloween goodies!
We also try to make sure our grown-ups have lots of fun too through:
Christmas wreath making evening
Winter raffles with incredible prizes donated by generous local businesses.
All these events help us to build relationships within the school, outside in the local community and to raise much needed funds. These funds are then used to purchase a range of services and goods that enhance the educational experience of the children. Some examples of these are the purchase of the forest school shelter, buying a book vending machine, filled with books, for children to receive as prizes. We have also purchased traffic-calming signs to improve the safety of the children being dropped off and collected from school and have also funded the build of a new sandpit and clearance of the school pond, so the children can take part in pond dipping.
The Trustees decide as a committee how to spend the raised funds. We take suggestions and advice from the Headteacher, members of staff, parents/carers and the pupils of the school on the items or services they require the most. We do this through regular open Friends' meetings, having the committee members visible and known in the school community for regular conversation, having members of staff on the committee and having year group representatives who are a link with the parents in each year group.
The allocation of funds is always balanced with how best the money can benefit the school community as a whole. We also undertake some longer-term projects depending on the needs identified to improve the educational experience of all the pupils at the school.